Monday, March 13, 2006

Should Voters Just "Get Over Themselves"?

There are number of people I've met during the course of this congressional campaign season who have a devastating power to act as wet blankets. One such person left an anonymous message here tonight, reading,

"Campaigns are not won over blogs. everyone here should get over themselves."

Sigh. I wonder what's in the mind of the anonymous person who writes this message. Does this person really gain some comfort in the idea that ordinary people have no power to get involved in politics to make a difference? Is the ideal state of a political campaign, in this person's mind, one in which no one gets too interested or excited?

I've met a handful of people from around the district who seem to really feel that way. Some of them actually sit on campaigns, or sit on county Democratic committees. When I say that they sit on campaigns and committees, boy, do I mean that they sit. They're like dragons sitting on piles of treasure, just hoarding it for the sake of hoarding it, protecting their turf with occasional blasts of fire for anyone else who gets interested.

For these people, comfortable in their seats, how things have always been done is the most important thing of all. They love for people to come within earshot, so that they can make withering comments about what doesn't work.

Honestly, it tires me to hear so many comments from so many people, online and in person, about what won't work, what can't be done, what never has happened, and what never will happen. It makes me feel tired in the same way I feel when I hear my 5 year-old son tell me that he needs his milk in a cup, not in a glass.

If politics has no space for imagination and innovation, then things won't get better, and they'll probably get worse. If we allow ourselves to be discouraged by these jealous dragons of local politics, and retire to the traditions of how things have always been done, then the communities of the 24th district will continue to decay, and our once-shining democratic process will corrode into tarnish through and through.

There's only one way to deal with a wet blanket, and that's to get out of bed. I'd like to hear from some people - from any campaign or any committee in our district - who are willing to show some energy and originality. I'd like to hear what you're doing that's different from how things have always been done. I want to know what you're doing to shake up the status quo of the way it is.

Anyone out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure sounds like you've run into some of the supporters of the "candidate" Bruce Tytler. Your efforts to try and push them into an actual campaign are at odds with his key supporter's desire to use his "campaign" as a way to raise money for the Cortland County Democratic committee.

He isn't doing any campaigning and I've heard from a number of sources that he is not even to the ten grand level in fundraising yet.

Anonymous said...

you asked for a wet blanket and one appeared seemingly unknowing that he's the ultimate in naysaysers, can't do it 'cuz, should've asked me I'm so smart, wet blankets. Blogger let me introduce Andy Palm. (He'll be so excited that his name is mentioned since nobody gives a hoot about him)